Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The joys of life

A long long (loooong) time ago I was talking to my former landlady about how London is safe compared to our hometowns (I'm from Rio, she's from somewhere in South Africa - I want to say Johannesburg, but it could be Capetown). I mean, if you think about the different people and different cultures that live together in this city, the least you could expect is that they would be fighting against each other every other day except Saturdays and Sundays, which are Holy days. New York is way more dangerous than London. It also helps that fire guns are illegal here.
Anyway, having said that, it doesn't mean that London is paradise on Earth and everything is peace and quiet.
Last night (1.45 am) we were awaken by a lady screaming. Really screaming! So, logical thing to do is go to the window to see what the heck was going on. To cut a long story short: occupants of two cars were fighting near a construction site, with member of each car trying to break the other car. The hysterical lady was throwing heavy stones on the other car, the guy of the other car was using whatever object available to break the lady's car windscreen and the so the story goes. You know what surprises me the most? It's not the fact that people are so angry because of whatever has happened, or that the lady wasn't scared of being beaten to death (I would be), or that the guy didn't slap the girl so she would shut up, or that people were just there looking as it was a reality show. What surprises me the most is that the cars' windows didn't break!!! And these guys really tried! I hope my little Micra is that strong too.

Well, I did call the police. I was afraid that it would become even worse and we would have dead bodies in the streets but most important of all: I needed to sleep as I have a meeting outside London early morning today. I hope these kids burn in hell for disturbing my sleep.

Sorry, I get really grumpy when I'm tired.

2 comments:

  1. It is funny how irrational these outbursts seem when you look from "the outside". I mean when you are just a spectator.
    Makes me think of the movie Borat, that is what I liked about the movie, it tries to show how we really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I saw a boy in a bike mugging someone last monday Morning. Not violent but sad. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete

Uuuuh, so you decided to comment, huh? Well done!