Wednesday, February 13, 2008

From the series "I beg your pardon?"

Can somebody explain me why British people say indeed for everything? "Good morning" "Good morning indeed" "Ok, so I will call you later once I have the answer for you." "Thank you indeed"

****

After 2 years and a half living in London, there are still so many things that annoy me regarding the British way of talking, like eating the letters of words. Glocester is Gloster, Leicester is Lester, Secretary is secretry, Yorkshire is Yokshur (oh yeah, they don't pronounce the "r" properly and for someone coming from Rio this is very annoying) and let's not go to advertisement because this is a word I cannot even pronounce in British English!

I also struggle to use new words I learn everyday, like pudin. Pudim in Brazil is a specific dessert that I don't like that much. I would never have pudim with a smile. I eat it for the sake of eating sugar, but I would gladly exchange it for ice cream, chocolate, condensed milk. Pudin here is any type of dessert. Basic English-Portuguese dictionaries (like Babylon) don't even have pudin/pudim as an English word. You can have chocolate mousse as pudin here and nobody will think it's weird.

****

What is with these people that insist in saying Hage-Ass-Be-See (HSBC)? Hage, not Age. There are a couple of those here at work. And iciu instead of ishew (issue)? And jaguiuar instead of jaguar? Let's not talk about South East accept, yeah, because, yeah, I will need a four page post, yeah, to explain in details, yeah, all those funny noises, yeah, Soufeasterns do, yeah? Know woh I mean? Woh? You dont? Man, noh good, man, yeah, Soufeastern are cool, innit?

If you live in London or you will visit London, please do come to South East London for a "cultural" trip. Yeah?

****

In my city (not going to generalize and say country, because I don't know if this is a countrywide common sense), when you say "good for you", usually you are being ironic. Example:
Someone you don't even like that much is going on a trip to NY and you don't have money even to go to the cinema, you say "good for you" thinking "yeah, I hope the plane won't crash, you won't break your legs, and the trip is not too boring. If I had the money, I would never waste it going to NY anyway". Boobless is how we call this person in Portuguese.

In this country (and I guess everywhere else in the world), good for you is supposed to really mean good for you, as in "yey, that's great!". But for some reason I don't feel it is said with the same enthusiasm you would say "yey, that's great!". It's more like "good for you, let's change topics?".

My friend Meytal (she is American) always laughs when she has to say good for you. And poor thing, now she cannot say it without thinking of the Portuguese (Brazilian? Cariocan?) connotation.

2 comments:

  1. vou te dizer que eu levei bem uns bons 2 anos pra falar "good for you" sem me sentir estranha, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:10 PM

    Is it GOOD FOR ME that I'm commenting? I should read your blog more often. This is cracking me up! XXbooooochersXX

    ReplyDelete

Uuuuh, so you decided to comment, huh? Well done!