Sunday, May 21, 2006

Busy weekend

My weekend started on Friday, when I had to babysit Mr. Cookie, sick for the 8th time in 8 month. I planned to sleep until late (which I did, as I woke up at 10), then go to College to get some films, fool around, clean the house, maybe read a bit. Nothing really important. But you know, maternal instinct spoke louder, if this makes any sense. It's true, he didn't ask, I offered and I don't regret. The weather, as usual, is bizarelly shitty, so we would probably have spent the weekend indoors.

So, what's good about the weekend? I saw, for the first time, the Eurovision thing. Never heard of it before and I have to tell you: the program is really kitch (in portuguese: cafonice pouca eh bobagem). I manage to vote to Romania (in return for him supportting Brazil in the Cup), which wasn't too bad (please not: not too bad doesn't mean good at all), but I was supporting (huh?) Finland and their heavy metal monster band Lordi, which won. This program was kind of Operation Triunfo, or Fama, without being a reality show (which means, the quality of the artists are almost the same). Curiosities: 1) This year was the 50th anniversary of Eurovion; 2) ABBA, Olivia Newton-John, Celine Dion and Lara Fabian were some of the winners of Eurovison that became something after that; 3) Europeans are tacky as everybody else in the world.

Guess what I found out this weekend? "Festa no Ape", Latino-please-kill-that-guy's 2005's hit is a version of a Romanian song!!!!! Also Enigma is a Romanian band (it was famous on MTV during the 90's, with its gregorian-style songs). And I learned a bad expression in Romanian: 'pizda mătii'. Children, do not try this at home, especially if you are in a Romanian home! And nice girls are not supposed to say this in public. Neither Pula! (yeah, Brazilian friends " jump!" in Portuguese is a swear in Romanian.

Ok, now you have an idea of how productive my weekend was.

2 comments:

  1. In fact ... the man behind Enigma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_%28musical_project%29) is Michael Cretu(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cretu) and he's romanian. He lives abroad and he's been living abroad for a while and his main musical career was abroad.
    Anyway ... it's interesting his choice of pseudonym Curly M.C. Because Cretu in romanian means Curly (One) :-) (about hair!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, dear readers, how great is this blog, huh? I bet you wouldn't know all these cool things if it wasn't for this your daily visit here! Curly M.C. - look at his picture at wikipedia to understand the pseudonym.

    ReplyDelete

Uuuuh, so you decided to comment, huh? Well done!