Friday, February 24, 2006

My biological clock is such a mess

People tend to say that student's life is easy. Most of the times it is. But when you are nearly your 30's and you are a full time student, your life can be really depressing. So far, I have classes only on Wednesdays and Thurdays. The other days, I'm supposed to read as much as I can, and, mostly, a bunch of books with theories I really don't believe or don't care or don't understand. My life is the opposite of the normal human beings: my week days are Wed and Thu, and my week(weak)-end is from Friday to Tuesday. It seems really tempting, doesn't it? Well, it's not! Firstly because being a full time student you don't have much spare money to spend in short trips, not to mention 'big' trips. Secondly, if you have normal friends, they might be at work when you are at home. Thirdly, and most important of all, the weather doesn't help! Brighton is one hour from London. Bournemouth about 2 or 3 hours from here. But who wants to go to the beach in this cold?!?!?! My room is barely warm enough of me.
***********************************************
Kids, let me introduce you to my new 'friend'. I was going to say 'baby', but I don't like the idea of being a machine's mom. I'm old-fashioned sometimes. Still thinking of a name. I like Sophie, but I might keep it as an option for my baby girl, if I have one one day. Oh, yes, of course, the 'lady' below is a 'she'. Weird habit of ours to give machines human personalities. Oh, well, I really need this new friend to cooperate with me, as it will be the key for my freedom!!! I'm being a little too dramatic here. This is "only" my masters' final project.


**********************************************

I have gotten two DVDs next to me: eXistenZ, directed by Cronenberg, and Memento. The latter is not new for me; I guess I've seen it two or three times; great weird film! The first one I'm willing to see since it premiered in Rio's Film festival, in 99 or 2000. I'm not sure if I like Cronenberg that much. So far, I've seen 1988's Dead Ringers (aka 'Twins' or 'Gemini'; in Portuguese "Gêmeos, mórbida semelhança", or so), 1986's The Fly, and 1996's Crash; I'm not so sure about Videodrome and The Dead Zone (based on Stephen King's novel). I liked The Fly very much. I remembered to be really really scared after seeing it, when I was 10 yrs old! I was about 12 years old or less when I saw Twins; I think it was a bit too complex for my age, but I was a big Jeremy Iron's fan and I remember being annoyed by the story. Crash... I was older and it was a bit too much for me. Too violent, too weird, too sick. Maybe I should see it again. Maybe I should try a Cronenberg session. I think he is better than David Lynch, though.

By the way, I added The Internet Movie Database at my favorite list: http://www.imdb.com

**********************************************

Someone said that sometimes our 'body' confuses thirst with hunger, meaning that when you think you are hungry, in fact you can be thirsty. From now on, everytime I think I'm hungry, I drink some water first, just in case it's true (no, I'm not doubting; it's a good theory for paranoid people). If it is really hunger, at least I'll eat less than I would, if I didn't drink water!

**********************************************

The End!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's true, I've heard about that too... our bodies sometimes confuse thirst with hunger, so if you're dehydrated, the body sometimes thinks your hungry and you end up eating. I read it in Men's health I believe.
    But also I looked it up online, to sustain the case. Found references to it by looking for "body confuses hunger for thirst" on google.

    Links and excerpts:
    http://www.rawstory.com/exclusives/contributors/atkins_diet_dangers_pork_rinds_721.htm
    "Caffeine consumption can cause overindulgence when the body confuses the hunger and thirst sensations."

    http://www.health.arizona.edu/health_topics/nutrition/general/waterhydration.htm
    "Another interesting fact: sometimes our body confuses a thirst signal for a hunger signal, which is why drinking a glass of water before a meal or snack is a common weight management tip."

    http://islandgrove.qldwide.net.au/your_bodys_many_cries_for_water.html
    "This confuses the "thirst" feeling & people think because they have consumed so much liquid, they are not thirsty, but hungry & eat food instead of drinking water - overeating as direct result of confused thirst & hunger sensations."

    http://www.drnick.com/fitquips/archive/fq_runningonempty.htm
    "The body sometimes confuses thirst for hunger, partly because the thirst center is very near the hunger center in you brain."

    Ok, I give up, I believe I made my point! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Uuuuh, so you decided to comment, huh? Well done!